The History of Three Pines Cabin
The original cabin was constructed in approximately 1798 in Powersville, Kentucky by Captain Phillip Buckner (1747-1820): a Revolutionary War veteran. Born in England, Buckner served on the side of the Americans during the war, provisioning soldiers from his own wallet. At war's end, Buckner was compensated by the fledgling American government in the form of land grants covering great swathes of land in what is today Bracken and Fayette Counties in Kentucky, and Brown County in Ohio.
Buckner, living in Virginia at the time, made a foray (or perhaps several) into the wild frontier in order to investigate his holdings. In 1786, finding them suitable, he returned with his family and a retinue of others intending to settle. The party sailed down the Ohio River and, upon arrival in Kentucky, was met by hostile natives. Bucker left his family at Bear Station (a fort, now Louisville, KY) and went back to Virginia for reinforcements. He returned soon after with additional settlers.
The group settled beside the Ohio River in what is now Augusta, KY; Phillip Buckner is considered the founder of that city. As the town grew, Buckner became increasingly displeased with city life. He was at heart an English country gentleman, fond of hunting, fishing, and other outdoor pursuits. In 1798, Buckner ventured 14 miles into the wilds of his vast acreage, taking with him his family and his pack of hounds.
It was then that Buckner built, upon a great prominence, a hunting lodge where he could live out his days in peace. As the years passed, he roamed his estate gaining a reputation as both an eccentric as well as an exceedingly charitable man. Buckner's home was always open, particularly to the poor and needy. Great feasts and gatherings were commonplace, and his lodge became a popular hunting destination for the populace of Augusta. He reportedly gave away hundreds of acres to those in need for the most trivial of payments: a coat, a cow, 50 cents. He died in 1820 a well-loved and wealthy man.
The cabin passed to Phillip Morford via a route lost to history. Morford and
later his son, Cassum, operated there an inn throughout the 1800s
catering to weary travellers on the road connecting Augusta and Cynthiana. A sign reading 'Boarding House' was displayed prominently at the front, while hearty food and drink awaited all who passed through the door. There are reports that Morgan's Raiders stayed at the inn during the Civil War.
It later served as a toll house during the 1920s, a private residence in 1955, and later still as a parsonage for the Powersville Christian Church. The Three Pines team first encountered the structure in 2012, when it was owned by the church, the pastor of which wanted it removed so that the existing parking lot could be expanded. The logs were at that time inconspicuously concealed behind the wooden siding of a modern house.
From June to September 2012, the team moved the logs and other timber, hewn some 200 years prior, to Three Pines where we constructed, over the subsequent 5 years, our cabin. Keeping Buckner's original design in mind, we restored the structure with added modern amenities.
We like to think that we are carrying on the tradition of Buckner and Morford today as we open the door of this historic cabin to you.